FAQs, Tips, and Studio Recommendations for Your Best Pilates Experience
Here at Pure Movement Pilates, we’re ready to strengthen and build your body to your ideal form. Discover our FAQs, Tips, and Studio Recommendations on how to navigate your first Pilates session.
Whether your goal is to recover following an injury, surgery, or from everyday aches and pains, or to be able to cross train for your next marathon, Pure Movement offers highly trained professionals prepared to work with any body type in a pleasant, calming atmosphere, ideal for focusing on your body and relaxing your mind.
Prior to Your First Pilates Session
- Please purchase your introductory session online.
- Make sure you’ve filled out your student information and waiver online.
- Confirm your appointment.
You should get an email from firstname.lastname@example.org and/or a text reminder. Be sure to add us to your contacts to avoid important information going to spam!
- Think about what your goals are in starting a Pilates program. Your private instructor will talk you through how we can make those happen.
FAQs About Pilates
If I have a chronic injury or pain, can I do Pilates?
Yes! This is a big FAQ, and a good one too, because it's important to understand how Pilates will fit into your life for the best initial experience.
Pilates is often sought out for its gentle approach to fitness, therapy, and its unique flexible adaptability to any physical limitations or body type. Many of our clients have found us out based on these considerations, and have since experienced tremendous physical therapy results within the Pilates discipline, following knee or hip replacements, back surgery, etc.
If you are concerned about how to get started and what level of movement is right for you, we have a lot more FAQs, tips and studio recommendations on our site for you to experience the best first Pilates session. Check out What Is Beginner Pilates?, When to Level Up Your Pilates Fitness, and read about Our Classes. Still unsure if Pilates is right for you? Read Pilates: What It Is, Benefits, and More, Is Pilates as Good as Everyone Says? Or Everything You Want to Know About Pilates.
What should I bring?
Just yourself. We provide all the equipment, towels, and water, although you are welcome to bring your own bottle to refill.
What should I wear?
Form fitting clothes are best (nothing very baggy, think yoga wear) as it allows the teachers to read movement lines better. We either allow bare feet or sticky socks on the reformers. Please, no regular socks due to risk of slipping.
How long is the Introductory Session?
The session will be 45-50 minutes in length, however, please book out a full hour in your own personal schedule.
What should I expect?
With a first session, an instructor will discuss with you what your goals are by beginning a Pilates program. Your personal fitness and movement goals are very important in building a program, including any limitations you may have from previous injuries or surgeries.
This is exceptionally important as many students continue into group classes. From there, the instructor will take you through a basic Pilates program, including form, technique, breathing, and equipment usage.
We want you to succeed at your fitness goals. So the last thing you need to get hung up on is getting started. Because of that, we’ve answered some commonly asked questions about your first Pilates session.
Should I take privates or groups?
During your Intro Private, your instructor will talk about next steps. But whether your want privates or groups all depends on personal preference and goals!
The fastest way to achieve your own personal goals is through private sessions, however, many students enjoy the camaraderie of group classes and the more affordable price. Group classes are still very personal, with equipment classes no more than seven people.
Where are you located?
Our address is 526 West Jefferson Boulevard Fort Wayne, IN 46802. We are ideally situated in the historic West Central neighborhood at the corner of Jefferson Boulevard and Fulton Street, offering easy in and out access and front-door parking at no cost. Our downtown location is centrally located, and easy to get to from the Greater Fort Wayne Area.
Tips for First Time Studio Visitors
First time in a group class?
How often should I do Pilates?
How soon do you want to see results?
Joseph Pilates famously said, “In 10 sessions, you’ll notice a difference, in 20 sessions, your friends will notice a difference, and in 30 you’ll have a whole new body.” Though there is no universal answer, the more consistent you are with the discipline, the faster you as a student will witness, experience, and feel long-term positive results.
We recommend at least two times a week, three times being more preferable. Results, like many fitness programs, will only happen through consistency and dedication. The more you come, the better you will feel, and the quicker you will see results! Stick with it!
Important Arrival Notes
- Due to minimizing the number of people in our studio at one time, please do not enter our building more than 10 minutes prior to your scheduled session.
- Make sure you enter through Idlehour Boutique to access our studio. If your introductory session is scheduled outside of the hours of 10-3, there may not be anyone at the desk at the time of your arrival. Feel free to hang out in the boutique or have a seat. If you need to change, we have two dressing rooms in the back of the boutique to use. Your instructor will be out soon to greet you after finishing a previous session.
- We recommend that you schedule all of your introductory classes and put them in your schedule. Use the MindBody app to keep track of your schedule. We find that students who commit to a schedule in the beginning have the greatest success getting used to the method and making it a part of their routine.
- Need to change your schedule? Just cancel and edit either online or via our MindBody app. We do have a 24 hour cancellation policy for group classes (and 72 hours for private sessions), but are considerate that things do come up. The sooner you let us know of a cancellation inside the 24 hour window, the faster we can get someone to cover the spot.
- Waitlisted for a class? You will be notified via email or text (whichever method of communication you've selected as your preference) if you are removed from the waitlist. Add yourself to the list - it often moves so please be patient.
The Pilates method is part of daily or weekly practice to maintain an ease, economy, and efficiency or your movement despite work-related stiffness, sports injury, repetitive movement patterns, accident, and/or body misalignment.
We are here to help along the way with answers to your FAQs, Tips while you're working out, and Studio Recommendations to enjoy the journey! We can't wait to welcome your to the Pure Movement community.