The GYROTONIC® method, developed by Julio Horvath, is an exercise modality that guides users to simultaneously stretch and strengthen muscles and tendons while also articulating and mobilizing the joints. Corresponding breathing patterns are engaged during the performance of the exercises, thereby increasing coordination, endurance and aerobic activity. This unique system offers the same benefits also derived from yoga, dance, gymnastics, swimming and tai chi, but is not derived from these exercises modalities.
The repertoire consists of a series of specially designed exercises performed on equipment which is built around the human body with regards to total freedom in movement, no restriction to speed and versatility, and enhances rather than distracts from coordination, strength and flexibility. It emphasizes multiple joint articulations without compression, thus strengthening ligaments and each attachment.
The benefits include but are not limited to the following:
- Stretching and strengthening of the muscles
- Stimulating and strengthening connective tissue in and around the joints
- Increased functional capacity of the spine
- Greater awareness of spherical and three-dimensional body movement
- Greater sense of balance
- Increased breathing capacity
- Awakening of the body’s nervous system
- Cognitive connection to the body